Face yoga is one of the novel wellness practices that went viral lately. And if you are active in social media, you’d understand what I’m talking about! Face yoga before and after pictures are everywhere and they are honestly impressive. You can notice the mind-blowing transformation quite clearly.
And that’s not everything!
According to some studies, face yoga exercise promises to erase signs of aging and give a remarkable youthful appearance and radiant look!
So does face yoga really work? Or is it nothing but a temporary trend? In this article, we will be discovering what research has to say about face yoga and what it can or can’t do to your overall look and appearance.
So, without any further ado, let us dive in!
Notice: You might bump into some affiliate links in this article, we pick the best products with the most affordable prices for you. If you like them, use our links to help us keep this blog alive <3.
1. What is Face Yoga?
Face yoga is much like yoga for the body. It involves the use of specific stretching and movements that are supposed to train the muscles in your face, tone them, boost circulation, tighten your skin, and give it a firmer and younger appearance.
Look… it’s pretty simple!
If you want to maintain a toned and well-defined body shape, you might try some planks, and pushups, and of course commit to regular training whether it’s at home or at the gym, right?
Well, the same goes for your face. This means if you want to have those cheekbones look fuller and your face well-defined and naturally contoured, you are going to need to work those facial muscles too, don’t you agree?
This is exactly where face yoga comes in handy!
According to experts, doing yoga for face is considered a safe, non-toxic, and non-invasive skincare practice that could change the way you look and give you the best results anywhere from a couple of weeks to a couple of months.
2. What Are The Benefits Of Face Yoga?
Face yoga is gaining great popularity for a reason.
This simple yet effective, natural beauty practice has the power to erase years off your face, according to experts. However, it’s important to keep in mind that face yoga won’t help you battle the inevitable aging process.
Aging is a natural human process we can’t escape no matter how healthy our lifestyle is, the good food we consume, or how much we exercise. In other words, we can’t prevent the aging process, but we can definitely delay it through healthy lifestyle choices and practices.
Face yoga is one of those healthy and wise practices that can give you naturally happy, healthy, and young-looking skin. Here are some amazing benefits of face yoga on your skin and overall appearance:
- A more balanced and radiant complexion.
- A more symmetrical face.
- Significantly reduced wrinkles and plumped skin.
- A natural glowy complexion.
- A well-defined and toned facial contours.
- Firmer and lifted skin.
- Above all, face yoga is a great exercise to de-stress and bring more peace to the mind and body.
3. What Do experts Say About Face Yoga?
I’m sure you are so tempted to try it and see what you can get, right? Wait, let us discover first what was revealed by research and studies on this matter.
Practitioners say that face yoga can do wonders and has immense benefits, as is already mentioned in the previous paragraph. And a small study that took place in 2018 come to support these benefits.
The study investigated the effectiveness of a 20-week facial exercise program (face yoga exercises) in reducing the appearance of aging signs and the overall facial appearance of middle-aged women.
The participants were committed to giving themselves a 30-minute face yoga session for 8 weeks on a daily basis, and then every other day during the next 12 weeks.
At the end of the program, most of the women were extremely happy with the results, they could immediately notice their amazing facial skin transformation.
However, a Healthline article under the following title: Face yoga for inner and outer radiance, shares a 2014 review of 9 studies about the benefits of face yoga in skin rejuvenation and in which researchers states that all studies made on this matter are considered small and inconclusive and that more research is needed.
However, the noticeable results couldn’t be ignored!
More than a beauty treatment…
Another study on face yoga shows that the benefits of face yoga exercise go beyond skin rejuvenation. In fact, face yoga exercises can significantly improve the mental health of older people.
During the study, participants did 30-minute facial yoga exercise sessions twice a week for a period of 12 weeks. The exercises included yogic breathing, rhythmic facial movement, muscle stretching, and also facial yoga.
The results were impressive as a remarkable improvement was reported by the end of the program regarding mental health, facial appearance, and tongue muscle power.
4. How To Do Face Yoga At Home?
You don’t have to go to a professional or special beauty center to get a good face yoga massage. Luckily, the internet made it so much easier for everyone. This means you can do it yourself and at home and without having to pay a penny. However, there are a few important rules to keep in mind.
- Make sure to properly wash your face before the face yoga massage.
- Rinse your hands with an antiseptic to prevent transmitting bacteria to your face.
- Always use a natural oil, serum, or favorite cream to reduce the friction on the skin.
- During the face yoga massage, you should be gentle on your skin and should feel the pressure exerted by your fingers.
- For remarkable results, you should do facial yoga every day for at least 1 month.
Also, here are some products (found on Amazon) that are widely used by the people who practice face yoga regularly:
5. Interesting Yoga Exercises To Try At Home
There are many face yoga exercises out there that you can do to target different skin issues. However, I personally find these quite easy, doable, and don’t take much time.
This helps me to easily include them in my daily skincare and self-care routine. I do them every morning but you can always choose the time that suits your schedule.
What I love most about these face yoga exercises is that they target those areas in my face where aging is most visible. So why don’t you give it a try too and watch your face transform!
1 of 5 | Say Bye-bye to Neck Wrinkles
1. Put on natural oil, serum, or just a moisturizer, and then start from the bottom of the neck and massage.
2. Gently massage backward and upwards until your reach the top of the neck.
3. Lift your head up as illustrated and then repeat.
4. Again, tilt the head forward and repeat the same exercise.
5. Good! Now push the lower lip, and hold the collarbones with your four fingers while you are looking up.
6. Hold your head in that position for four breaths and you’re done!
Benefits of this face yoga exercise? This movement will help tighten your neck and jawline, firm up your double chin, and prevent sagging skin and the appearance of neck wrinkles.
2 of 5 | Sunken Eyes & Droopy EyebrowsGIF
1. Apply a gentle serum around your eyes.
2. Place 1 pointer finger under each eye.
3. Lift your head up and then slightly open your mouth and cover your teeth with lips.
4. While looking up at the ceiling, flutter your upper eyelids for about 30 seconds. Well done!
Benefits of this face yoga exercise? This movement may help improve puffiness by enhancing circulation and also elasticity and wrinkles in that area. Let your eyes do the talking.
3 of 5 | Reduce Forehead Lines Without Botox
1. Always put on your favorite moisturizer, oil, or serum.
2. Place your hands on the forehead facing inwards.
3. spread all fingers down from hairline to eyebrows.
4. Sweep your fingers across the forehead while applying gentle pressure. Repeat 10 times!
Benefits of this face yoga exercise? This movement will help soften forehead lines naturally without any botox and also prevent potential wrinkles from showing.
4 of 5 | Reduce Smile lines and smile with confidence
1. Make an “O” shape with your mouth and then firmly press your tongue into one side of your mouth.
2. Hold for 10-15 seconds and then repeat on the other side.
3. Now, wrap your lips around your teeth and then pull the top and bottom of your lips with your fingers.
4. Holding that position, move your index fingers as shown in the gif above.
5. repeat 10 times!
Benefits of this face yoga exercise? This movement may help smooth smile lines and boost collagen production. Yes, you can now smile with confidence!
5 of 5 | Reduce Frown Lines
1. Use three fingers ( pointer, middle, and ring finger) to gently lift your eyebrows while slowly trying to close your eyes. Repeat this exercise 8 times.
2. To smooth the forehead area and stimulate collagen production, finish by gently stroking your forehead with your fingers.
3. And tada-da!! You are done!
Benefits of this face yoga exercise? In addition to reducing the visibility of wrinkles and fine lines, this movement will help improve puffiness and blood circulation.
6. When Can You Notice Visible Face Yoga Results?
Want a clear complexion, toned facial muscles, less visible fine lines, and a firm, radiant, and youthful look to your face? Facial yoga can give you all that but keep in mind that nothing is for free.
You have to be always willing to make sacrifices to achieve your goals. It’s true that facial yoga is for free and you can easily do it by yourself right in your own house, but it requires two expensive things: Time and consistency.
Face yoga exercise can give you the benefits of a facelift without the danger or the cost of plastic surgeries. However, You will have to be consistent.
What is the best time to do face yoga and for how long?
You have to do yoga face exercises every morning preferably or whenever you have time. The face yoga exercises shall take 20-30 minutes from your time on a daily basis for a period of 3 to 4 weeks, which is when you start to see noticeable results.
Oh, before I go!
Here’s a book that really helped many women get the best out of practicing face yoga exercises.
Have you ever tried face yoga exercises before? Let us know in the comments. Otherwise, are you willing to challenge yourself and give face yoga a try? If you answer with a “yes”, please don’t hesitate to share your experience with the Gran’Ma Secrets community.
See you next time!
Much love, XoXo
It’s important that you speak to your dermatologist before starting any facial yoga program. These facial exercises might not suit everyone, especially those with cosmetic injectables. Better safe than sorry!